PDA

View Full Version : Birth and registration district

Sue at the seaside
29-06-11, 13:34
With impending arrival of Take one Grandparent and assuming I'd got all them sorted!!!
I have one lady for whom I don't have birth cert, on 1881 census says she was born in Walsingham, but all other censuses say Hackney! I can find no record on BMD records for a Norfolk birth, but there is a Hackney birth about the right time. They did have family in Norfolk, so it is feasible, but would the child be able to be registered in Hackney?

kiterunner
29-06-11, 13:38
If the registration is listed under Hackney, it should mean she was born there.

If she was born in Walsingham but they didn't get round to registering her until they got to Hackney, the registrar would have passed the details on to Walsingham and it should end up listed as Walsingham.

Sue at the seaside
29-06-11, 13:48
That really is what I've thought. I'm the only person who thinks she was born in Walsingham, Her daughter my MIL thinks she was born in Hackney, but, the first census after her birth says Walsingham!, I always think people will be more accurate when the children are so young.

Nell
29-06-11, 23:36
Have you looked for a baptism?

It's possible she was born in Walsingham and the first census after her birth would state this - but she may have been brought up in Hackney and assumed that's where she was born. But the parents might have registered her in Hackney and given their Hackney address as place of birth - no proof of birthplace was required.

Nell
29-06-11, 23:39
Incidentally, I was born in Redhill (because my Mum had to go to hospital there) but my Dad went to our local register office to register my birth. The registrar there took the details and passed them on to Redhill register office, and my birth cert states the information was provided "by declaration".

Sue at the seaside
30-06-11, 00:47
Have you looked for a baptism?

It's possible she was born in Walsingham and the first census after her birth would state this - but she may have been brought up in Hackney and assumed that's where she was born. But the parents might have registered her in Hackney and given their Hackney address as place of birth - no proof of birthplace was required.

That is where my thoughts are going with this.

I haven't found a baptism, they are likey to be non-conformists, but having said that she did marry in a C of E, but her parents didn't, definatley "chapel"!

Phoenix
30-06-11, 10:21
Lots of young mums-to-be went back to stay with their own mums for the birth of that first child. But even a baptismal register might prove misleading as it does not ask where the child was born, but the abode of the parents. (ie Hackney!)

Margaret in Burton
30-06-11, 11:05
Lots of young mums-to-be went back to stay with their own mums for the birth of that first child. But even a baptismal register might prove misleading as it does not ask where the child was born, but the abode of the parents. (ie Hackney!)

Also, baptisms often took place at the old family place. My great grandparents had their first two children baptised in Suffolk where they were both from even though the children were born in Burton on Trent.

kiterunner
30-06-11, 11:14
I would think it's more likely that her birthplace is wrong on that one census than that they lied to the registrar about where she was born when registering her birth.

Sue at the seaside
30-06-11, 17:01
Hopefully this link works, I'm not too good at this sort of thing!!!
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=7572&iid=LNDRG11_305_309-0308&fn=Florence&ln=Bolton&st=r&ssrc=pt_t819491_p-2045171218_kpidz0q3d-2045171218z0q26pgz0q3d32768z0q26pgPLz0q3dpid&pid=14532479

This is the 1881 census, and it's Florence Bolton that I'm interested in. Perhaps you can have a look and see what you think. Florence and Annie are from a second marriage.

kiterunner
30-06-11, 17:21
Well, it doesn't say Walsingham, because there is an h after the s, but that might be what it's supposed to say. But maybe it said something else on the form and the enumerator has copied it out wrong. There doesn't seem to be a place called Walshingham.

Sue at the seaside
30-06-11, 17:28
Well, it doesn't say Walsingham, because there is an h after the s, but that might be what it's supposed to say. But maybe it said something else on the form and the enumerator has copied it out wrong. There doesn't seem to be a place called Walshingham.

I do agree with you about the spelling, but to be honest spelling of all sorts on census forms can be a bit dodgy, it seems to be done phonetically. Not sure I'll ever get this one really sorted. but thanks for looking.

maggie_4_7
30-06-11, 17:30
There's a Walsingham Rd in Hackney.

Sue at the seaside
30-06-11, 17:45

Oh Good grief! off to have a look

Had a look, it is only 0.8 mile from Rushmore Crescent!!!!

maggie_4_7
30-06-11, 18:06
The reason I said it is because above the wife and Joshua has Hackney Rd and Kingsland Rd respectively so the enumerator might have made an ommission of the word Rd.

I can't get in the Street Index for 1881 and before it keeps timing out so I can't check if it was around then I think it was.

Sue at the seaside
11-07-11, 12:51

Just a quickie, The birth cert has arrived and quess where she was born........ 7 Walsingham Road, Clapton.

Well done and thanks everyone, especially Maggie

Nell
11-07-11, 18:46
Result!

Sue at the seaside
11-07-11, 19:35
Result!

Absolutely :D and it gave her Mum's middle name. I've tracked her birth down now as well, another cert to send for!