PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry transciptions can leave you wondering.

HarrysMum
26-06-11, 00:34
I've just found the West Yorkshire PRs......they've probably been there for ages.

Thought I'd look at the marriage for George Naylor and Elizabeth Eyre and see if perchance the wirnesses gave me any clue to either family.

Ancestry has the marriage as Banns. It was by licence.

They have George Naylor and his spouse as Parson Britell??????

The only thing that got me to check it was the date is correct.

So maybe don't be too quick to brush off even those records you think are nothing like want you want.

If anyone wants to check the image.......I don't suppose you could make the witness William Birkby into William Kirkby, could you????

Janet
26-06-11, 00:56
Did you miss this thread, then, Libby?

http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10516&highlight=Yorkshire+parish+registers

HarrysMum
26-06-11, 01:19
Must have Janet.....lol

Now I'm off to see what is Sheffield and what isn't...lol

Still can't work out that transcription, though. The image is as clear as a bell.

Janet
26-06-11, 01:32
I'm teetering on the edge of an ancestry sub. :o

Merry
26-06-11, 07:38
Parson Brittell is the parish George is from - Parish of Birstall.

Sadly, the witness hasn't spelled his name with a K :mad:

Nell
26-06-11, 08:59
Not just mistranscriptions - I've found a witness on a marriage cert who signed "T. Browing" instead of "T. Browning". Of course it would have been more helpful if he'd signed Thomas Browning because then I'd be certain he was the chap I suspect he was.

But that was helpful, because I've since found other Brownings who were mistranscribed as Browing!

Lindsay
26-06-11, 11:17
I was having trouble locating a burial in the West Yorks records which I I knew had taken place as I had the date.

Browsing through the images I realised the burial of every married woman in that village was transcribed with only her first name - presumably because the actual record said something like 'Mary, wife of John Smith'! :confused:

It's great to have the records online but the standard of transcription seems low even for Ancestry.

HarrysMum
26-06-11, 20:00
Not just mistranscriptions - I've found a witness on a marriage cert who signed "T. Browing" instead of "T. Browning". Of course it would have been more helpful if he'd signed Thomas Browning because then I'd be certain he was the chap I suspect he was.

But that was helpful, because I've since found other Brownings who were mistranscribed as Browing!

Nell....the mistranscriptions in mine isn't the witness. It's both the bride and Ancestry has 'banns' instead of licence.

After looking at it, it could be Kirkby.....I've been staring at it so long, I could make it look like anything...lol