PDA

View Full Version : James Cooper / Sephton

kiterunner
24-06-11, 11:00
This week's TO3G is proving pretty useful for me, as I've found loads of info about my 3xg-grandmother's parents, but I'm getting in a bit of a muddle with her father now. Since it's not actually to do with her but a generation back, I thought it should be a separate thread really. (More or less everything is filled in for her) Sorry, but this is going to be long!

James Cooper married Margaret Foster 25 Oct 1819 St Cuthbert, North Meols, Lancashire. Both of the parish, witnesses John Rimmer and John Todd.

James Cooper is at Snape, Scarisbrick, Lancashire, on the censuses:
1841 age 55 Farmer, born in county
1851 age 65 Farmer, born Scarisbrick
1861 age 75 Farmer , born Scarisbrick.

Buried 4th Jan 1868, St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, age 83, abode Scarisbrick. (So, born about 1784.)

National Probate Calendar entry from 1868 (I'm going to order the will):
COOPER James Effects under £1,000
24 February. The will of James Cooper late of Scarisbrick in the county of Lancaster farmer deceased who died 1 January 1868 at Scarisbrick aforesaid was proved at Liverpool by the oaths of Thomas Tinsley of Scarisbrick aforesaid Farmer and Robert Todd of Scarisbrick aforesaid Farmer the Nephew the Executors.

I've traced Robert Todd through the censuses and Lancs OPC, and his mother was Phoebe Cooper who married John Todd 5 Oct 1812 at St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, witnesses Joseph Close and John Hankin. On the 1841 census Phoebe Todd, age 55, has George Cooper age 85 Ind Y with her. Phoebe Todd was buried 8 Oct 1860 at St Cuthbert, North Meols, age 78, so she was born about 1782-3.

George Cooper's death is on Lancshire BMD - 1843, sub-district Scarisbrick, age 88. I can't see a will or a burial for him; can anyone else?

George Cooper married Ann Sephton 31 Mar 1788 at St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, they had a daughter Jane baptised 30 Nov 1788 at the same church, and then Ann Cooper, wife of George, is buried 3 Nov 1789 at the same church, abode Scarisbrick.

Baptisms from before George and Ann's marriage, from Lancs OPC:
Jane Sephton, daughter of Ann Sephton, baptised 15 Jan 1779 St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, abode Scarisbrick
Unnamed child of Ann Sephton baptised 4 Feb 1781 at Lathom Chapel, St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk
Phoebe Sephton, daughter of Ann Sephton, baptised 26 Mar 1783, St Cuthbert, Halsall, abode Snape, illegitimate.
James Sephton, son of Ann Sephton, baptised 15 Oct 1786 St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, abode Scarisbrick.

I found an entry on A2A: Lathom - order of filiation and maintenance of John, bastard child of Henry Farrington, husbandman, and Ann Sephton, 22 Jul 1782. Not sure whether this would be the "unnamed child" baptised at Lathom 1781 or another one. But if I order a copy of this document, I don't think it's going to help me find out who James's father was, which is what I really want to find out. I've looked at the public trees on ancestry which have these people in, and they all have George Cooper down as his father but don't seem to have any actual evidence for this.

Can anyone see something I've missed, please?

Phoenix
24-06-11, 13:09
Any idea who Henry Farrington was? Was he married? Did he die?

Those children are arriving with alarming frequency, suggesting (hopefully) that Ann Sephton was in a stable relationship, just not married.

kiterunner
24-06-11, 14:09
There are quite a few possible Henry Farringtons.

garstonite
24-06-11, 15:54
The unamed child is John Sephton according to Familysearch Record Pilot
John Sephton
christened 4th February 1781
Ormskirk
mother Ann Sephton

James is also there.15th October 1786 ..just says....mother Ann Sephton
allan

kiterunner
24-06-11, 16:01
Thanks for that, Allan.

Now I've found a burial for Thomas Cooper 8 Jun 1794 at St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, son of George Cooper of Scarisbrick, but I can't find his baptism!

garstonite
24-06-11, 16:05
there`s only one on same site in Ormskirk
Thomas Cooper
christened 24th October 1700 ...father Hugh Cooper
so that would make him 93 ????
unlikely in those days ??
allan

kiterunner
24-06-11, 16:09
No, my Thomas's father is George, and if it has his father's name on his burial it should mean he was a child. I'm just trying to find out whether Ann was his mother (she died in 1789 and Thomas died in 1794 but it doesn't give his age at death.)

kiterunner
25-06-11, 10:04
I managed to find the connection with Thomas Tinsley - he was married to one of James's nieces (one of Phoebe's daughters). But now I'm wondering why James named Thomas Tinsley and Robert Todd as his executors, rather than any of his own children or sons-in-law. Hopefully the will should help, when it arrives.