PDA

View Full Version : Help with Ann Pratt please

Margaret in Burton
22-06-11, 15:08
My Thomas Pratt http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8042&highlight=thomas+pratt

Mother Ann, nothing known.

I have found a extracted marriage on the IGI for an Ann Pratt to a George Hardesly 26 March 1798 in Coddington, Notts. That is two years after the birth of her illegitimate son.

There is also a baptism on the pilot site for Ann Prat 30 Aug 1778 in Coddington to Thomas Prat and Elizabeth Slack

Does anyone think they could all be the same Ann or can anyone find anything else to back up my findings?

kiterunner
22-06-11, 15:22
I wonder if Hardesly is a mistranscription of Hardesty?

Margaret in Burton
22-06-11, 15:25
I wonder if Hardesly is a mistranscription of Hardesty?

I can't find the name Hardesly in the 1841 census in Nottinghamshire

kiterunner
22-06-11, 15:25
Richard Hardesty born 2 Dec 1798, baptised 17 Dec 1798 Coddington, parents George and Ann, died 17 Jul 1799.

Margaret in Burton
22-06-11, 15:32
Richard Hardesty born 2 Dec 1798, baptised 17 Dec 1798 Coddington, parents George and Ann, died 17 Jul 1799.

Yes could well be. What site did you find that on?

Just spotted it on the IGI

kiterunner
22-06-11, 15:37
It's on FamilySearch, Marg. Then there are a couple of children of George and Ann Hardesty baptised at Winthorpe but a lot later - Robert 19 Apr 1813 and John 19 Feb 1815. I think Winthorpe is pretty near to Coddington. It would probably help if I could go and look these up at Notts Archives but I don't think I'll be going there for a few days.

Margaret in Burton
22-06-11, 15:42
It's on FamilySearch, Marg. Then there are a couple of children of George and Ann Hardesty baptised at Winthorpe but a lot later - Robert 19 Apr 1813 and John 19 Feb 1815. I think Winthorpe is pretty near to Coddington. It would probably help if I could go and look these up at Notts Archives but I don't think I'll be going there for a few days.

Yes they do look to be quite close together but that's a big gap.

kiterunner
22-06-11, 15:45
Then there's a William Hardsey baptised 17 Oct 1802 at Morton by Fiskerton, parents George and Ann. I wonder if that's another variant of the same surname?

Margaret in Burton
22-06-11, 15:49
I suppose with my luck they will be all over Nottinghamshire ;(;(

Do you reckon I'm on the right track with Ann being the mother of Thomas Pratt?

Margaret in Burton
22-06-11, 15:50
Back later, need to cook a meal

kiterunner
22-06-11, 15:51
I suppose with my luck they will be all over Nottinghamshire ;(;(

Do you reckon I'm on the right track with Ann being the mother of Thomas Pratt?

Could be but we need some more evidence, don't we?

kiterunner
22-06-11, 16:05
Ooh, the marriage is on FreeREG and his surname is transcribed as Hardesty on there. It says Ann Pratt was 19 when she married, so that fits with the baptism you found for her.

Margaret in Burton
22-06-11, 16:23
Ooh, the marriage is on FreeREG and his surname is transcribed as Hardesty on there. It says Ann Pratt was 19 when she married, so that fits with the baptism you found for her.

I always forget FreeReg

That's Kate

Margaret in Burton
22-06-11, 18:02
If that's Ann's baptism then her parents were Thomas Pratt and Elizabeth Slack who married in Coddington on 16 Mar 1769 (Freereg)

He was 20 and she was 23. Strangely it says she needed parental concent.

Can anyone find a baptism for Thomas about 1749?

If the ages are mixed up on that marriage then he would be about 1746.

kiterunner
22-06-11, 18:53
The only one I can see is at Sutton Bonington, but that's not in the right area.

Margaret in Burton
22-06-11, 19:03
I've just found a marriage for Thomas Pratt and Elizabeth Fisher on FreeReg 18 April 1738 in Kilvington. The groom was from Coddington.

Pilot site has children for I presume that couple in Coddington which has two Thomas' 6 Sep 1747 and 27 Jul 1748, plus 3 daughters between 1738 and 1744

No burials for Coddington seem to be online or on the NBI.

kiterunner
28-06-11, 11:04
Right, I've had a look through the parish registers, but I ran out of time. This is what I have so far, all from Coddington unless stated otherwise:

10th July 1796 Thomas, illegitimate son of Ann Prat. (Baptism)

George Hardesty aged 21 years and upwards & a Batchelor & Ann Pratt aged 19 years and upwards & a spinster, both of this parish, were married by Banns in this parish church 26th March 1798. Ann marks with an X. Witnesses David Astling and Ann Warren.

Ann Pratt daughter of Thomas Pratt of Coddington labourer, son of Thomas Pratt of Coddington by Ann his wife, Elizabeth the wife of Thomas Pratt daughter of William Slack of North Collingham labourer by Mary his wife, was born Sunday 30th Aug and baptised Sunday 6th Sept 1778.

As she is 19 on the marriage, I'm sure this must be the right baptism. I had a look at the baptisms for children of George and Ann Hardes(t)y that we found in various posts, and they don't really help to confirm if it's the same couple or not. George is a labourer on the Winthorpe baptisms.

Banns for Thomas Pratt and Elizabeth Slack read 16th & 30th Apr and 14th May 1769. Thomas Pratt age 20 and Elizabeth Slack age 22, both of this parish, were married 16th May 1769 by banns with consent of parents. Witnesses Thomas Pratt, Henry Aldridge (serial witness) and Joseph Pearson.

Prat(t) baptisms, all with parents Thomas and Elizabeth (i.e. Ann's brothers and sisters). Surname is Prat for William and Pratt for the rest:
William 23 Jul 1769
Thomas 13 Feb 1771
John 8 Nov 1772
Richard 6 Nov 1774
William 27 Dec 1776
Christopher Pratt son of Thomas Pratt of Coddington labourer son of Thomas Pratt of Coddington labourer by Ann his wife and Elizabeth wife of Thomas Pratt daughter of William Slack of Doddington in Lincolnshire labourer by Mary his wife was born Friday 24th Dec and baptised Sunday 26th Dec 1779.

Now the earlier Thomas and Elizabeth:
Taken from the Kilvington Bishop's Transcripts for 1738: Thos Prat of Coddington in the parish of East Stoke and Eliz Fisher of the parish of Kilvington married the 18 of April.

Baptisms at Coddington of children of Thomas and Elizabeth Pratt:
Elizabeth 10th Mar 1738-9
Anne 9 Aug 1741
Catherine 10 Sep 1744 buried 8 Feb 1745
Thomas 6 Sep 1747 buried 23 Jun 1748
Thomas 21th Jul 1748 (it definitely says 21th, not 27th)

Elizabeth the wife of Thomas Pratt buried July 12th 1750.

So the baptisms of Ann in 1778 and Christopher in 1779 say that their father Thomas's mother was Ann, not Elizabeth, which would mean the above baptisms are the wrong family, but I'm hoping that Thomas senior married an Ann when Thomas jr was very young and he got confused. I couldn't find the marriage but of course it may be in another parish. I did find these burials at Coddington:

Ann th wife of Thomas Pratt buried Feb the 1 day 1776
Thomas Pratt buried October the 4 day 1776 a labour.

kiterunner
28-06-11, 13:55
Have you seen this document from 1760 with lots of mentions of Thomas Pratt the elder and Thomas Pratt the younger, Marg?

http://www.coddington.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29:coddington-enclosure-award-1760&catid=87:18th-century&Itemid=100012

Margaret in Burton
28-06-11, 14:30
Thank you Kate

Trying to get my head round it. So Thomas Pratt's (who married Elizabeth Slack) mother was Ann not Elizabeth Fisher.

Think I'll print it off and read it again

Margaret in Burton
28-06-11, 14:30
Have you seen this document from 1760 with lots of mentions of Thomas Pratt the elder and Thomas Pratt the younger, Marg?

http://www.coddington.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29:coddington-enclosure-award-1760&catid=87:18th-century&Itemid=100012

mmmm

seems to be about Allotments

Margaret in Burton
28-06-11, 14:38
Kate is this too early?

There is a marriage on Freereg in Coddington

19 Jan 1722/23 of a Thomas Pratt with no name listed for the bride

Yes, it's obviously a couple of generartions too early

Margaret in Burton
28-06-11, 15:26
The pilot site has a baptism for a Sarah Pratt daughter of Thomas and Anne Pratt in Coddington on 4 Jul 1731

kiterunner
28-06-11, 16:14
So Thomas Pratt's (who married Elizabeth Slack) mother was Ann not Elizabeth Fisher.

We know that Thomas Pratt was 20 when he married Elizabeth Slack, so I'm thinking his baptism must be that 1748 one and his mother was Elizabeth Fisher, but she died (in 1750) when he was very young and his stepmother was called Ann. But it would help if we could find his father's marriage to an Ann after Elizabeth's death. I couldn't find one in Coddington but maybe he married her in another parish (or another county?)

There is a marriage on Freereg in Coddington
19 Jan 1722/23 of a Thomas Pratt with no name listed for the bride

The pilot site has a baptism for a Sarah Pratt daughter of Thomas and Anne Pratt in Coddington on 4 Jul 1731

I'm losing track of how many Thomases there are now! I'll do some more next time I go to Notts Archives, and also I'll see if there are any wills.

Margaret in Burton
28-06-11, 17:40
We know that Thomas Pratt was 20 when he married Elizabeth Slack, so I'm thinking his baptism must be that 1748 one and his mother was Elizabeth Fisher, but she died (in 1750) when he was very young and his stepmother was called Ann. But it would help if we could find his father's marriage to an Ann after Elizabeth's death. I couldn't find one in Coddington but maybe he married her in another parish (or another county?)

I'm losing track of how many Thomases there are now! I'll do some more next time I go to Notts Archives, and also I'll see if there are any wills.

That's very kind of you Kate, thank you

kiterunner
02-07-11, 11:59
I called in very quickly on my way to do some shopping, and found a will. Didn't have time to copy out every word but this is the important stuff.

Newark Deanery
Execution of the will of Thomas Pratt late of Coddington (Nott) dec'd was granted to Thomas Pratt the Son & sole Executor 2d June 1778.

This is the last Will and Testament of me Thomas Pratt of Coddington... yeoman
First I give and devise... my two Tenements or Dwellinghouses...in Coddington...wherein I and my son in law George Motteram do now dwell with the Homestead and Appurtenances thereto adjoining...unto my Daughter Sarah the wife of the said George Motteram her Heirs and Assigns for ever Also I give and bequeath unto my said Daughter my oak Tea Table Also I give and bequeath all the rest residue and remainder of my personal Estate Goods and Chattels...unto my Son Thomas Pratt... appoint my said son Thomas Pratt sole Executor...12th Feb 1776

The bond gives Thomas jr's occupation as labourer.

kiterunner
02-07-11, 12:06
There is a George and Sarah Mott(e)ram having children in Coddington in the 1750's and 60's, according to FamilySearch, so the daughter Sarah in that will is likely to be the one whose baptism you found (post #22) but as for which Thomas is the son...!

Margaret in Burton
02-07-11, 14:16
Kate

Thank you so much.

I've got info on different families coming from all directions now. Plenty to keep me busy.

Margaret in Burton
02-07-11, 16:11

That theory isn't helped by the fact that Sarah #22 and probable wife of George Motteram had a mother Ann. :confused::confused::confused:

kiterunner
02-07-11, 18:23
It doesn't look as though he had a stepmother called Ann, no.

I still think his mother was Elizabeth and she died when he was a baby and he got her name wrong on his own children's baptisms, but there still isn't anything to prove it definitely.

Margaret in Burton
02-07-11, 18:59
It doesn't look as though he had a stepmother called Ann, no.

I still think his mother was Elizabeth and she died when he was a baby and he got her name wrong on his own children's baptisms, but there still isn't anything to prove it definitely.

Yes I agree

*except for that baptism for Sarah*