View Full Version : West Yorkshire parish registers - ancestry

Muggins in Sussex
22-06-11, 06:09
I think this is new

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/yorkshire

kiterunner
22-06-11, 07:26
Ooh yes, it is, thanks Muggins!

West Yorkshire parish registers from 1512 through to the 20th century, and the older records are already indexed as well as the newer, unlike some of the other counties they've done.

kiterunner
22-06-11, 09:40
Doesn't Sheffield count as West Yorkshire? I can't see any Sheffield records in there?

tenterfieldjulie
22-06-11, 09:42
Isn't Slaithwaite in West Yorkshire?...........

kiterunner
22-06-11, 09:57
Oh yes, it's listed as "Huddersfield, Slaithwaite Church".

tenterfieldjulie
22-06-11, 11:53
Wonderful .. Thanks

Lynn the Forest Fan
22-06-11, 13:19
Doesn't Sheffield count as West Yorkshire? I can't see any Sheffield records in there?

No Sheffield is South Yorkshire :)

Mary from Italy
22-06-11, 13:40
Isn't Slaithwaite in West Yorkshire?...........

I used to live near there. I hope you know how to pronounce it :) :)

kiterunner
22-06-11, 15:04
I was assuming it was the old West Riding of Yorkshire. I do know there was no South Riding in real life! Ah well.

I can't find Hunslet on there either, though surely that should be West Yorkshire? One of OH's ancestors was born in Hunslet.

Mary from Italy
22-06-11, 16:34
There are quite a few places I can't find. I wish they'd post a list of which parishes are included.

And yes, Hunslet is in the West Riding; it's near Leeds.

JayG
22-06-11, 22:26
Thanks for posting Joan, I don't have any direct ancestors but have lots of rellies that i've found already.

I was assuming it was the old West Riding of Yorkshire. I do know there was no South Riding in real life! Ah well.

I can't find Hunslet on there either, though surely that should be West Yorkshire? One of OH's ancestors was born in Hunslet.

Kate i've searched the births & baptisms 1813 - 1906 with the parish as Hunslet & there's 45,986 results!

tenterfieldjulie
22-06-11, 22:49
I have no idea how to pronounce Slaithwaite, Almondbury or Saddleworth which sound wonderful- all places associated with Alice Pogson in the 1780s through to the 1820s.

Janet
23-06-11, 00:22
Ya gotta go Google, Julie! :)

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/YORKSGEN/2009-03/1237223928

And when you get there, then you'll need to search 'Slaithwaite'. It's a couple screens down.

kiterunner
23-06-11, 08:59
Hunslet Moor is on there but I'm not sure if it is the same as Hunslet. I was particularly looking for some Hunslet baptisms that I found on the IGI, batch number P009611, but it doesn't say what church they're from. But now checking further, it seems they are on ancestry but indexed as "Leeds St Peter (Leeds Parish Church)" although when you look at the image it is headed "Hunslet Chapel". I suppose it was one of those chapels that belonged to a main church. At least now I know they're on there!

Kit
26-06-11, 11:21
I'm happy to know these are there. I've found my 3g grandma's baptism and that she has 6 siblings and I know her mothers name.

Off to find her parents wedding. I can't find them on a census though.

Kit
27-06-11, 04:49
Maybe I should mention that the family above has the surname Taylor. Having Elizabeth Taylor as a relative was great when you could go no further. Having a lot of Taylor's with common names who can not be found is not so much fun.

Some times we are never happy. ;)

Mary from Italy
09-07-11, 16:30
I've just been having another trawl through the W Yorks records, and I see Ancestry has invented a non-existent parish.

In the Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1512-1812 database there are no less than 69,000 entries in a parish called "Nomina".

There's no such place; it's Latin for "Names", and it it appears as a column heading in numerous records.

So if you can't find somebody you're looking for, try entering Nomina (or nothing at all) as the name of the parish.

Margaret in Burton
12-07-11, 15:42
I've just been having another trawl through the W Yorks records, and I see Ancestry has invented a non-existent parish.

In the Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1512-1812 database there are no less than 69,000 entries in a parish called "Nomina".

There's no such place; it's Latin for "Names", and it it appears as a column heading in numerous records.

So if you can't find somebody you're looking for, try entering Nomina (or nothing at all) as the name of the parish.

lol

Have you reported it Mary?

Mary from Italy
12-07-11, 15:51
No, you've just reminded me that I meant to, but never got around to it. I'll do it now.

kiterunner
31-05-18, 13:18
The West Yorkshire PR's on ancestry have just been updated.