PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone work out what happened to....

Merry
29-09-09, 16:21
Nothing to add to BK6 from this thread!

Lucy Cotton?

She was baptised in Alconbury cum Weston in Huntingdonshire 3rd Oct 1821, the dau of William Cotton and Lydia, nee Clark. No reason to suppose she was anything other than a baby when she was baptised as she was the 6th child in the family, with a baptism every 18mths or so.

Soon after her baptism the family moved to St Pancras.

In 1841 Lucy is not with her family, but appears in a separate household as Lucy Cotton aged 15, brush maker (a family occupation) in Wellesley Street Marylebone, born out of county.

After this she vanishes! lol

Joan of Archives
29-09-09, 17:11
Well she either died or married lol!!

:rolleyes:

Merry
29-09-09, 17:19
Yes, thank you so much Joan! lol Maybe you could tell me which she did first? (and don't you dare say she couldn't marry after she was dead :() :d

MargaretMarch
29-09-09, 17:20
There is a marriage for Lucy Cotton in Sep 1845 Edmonton, 3/113 but I expect you've looked at that already!
Margaret

Merry
29-09-09, 17:24
If it's the one where one of the spouses is John Gustavus Halliday, then Yes I have and they are far too posh to be the family I'm after!

Joan of Archives
29-09-09, 17:41
I saw that one Margaret but thought the same they couldn't be Merry's as they were too posh *runs* :d

That Lucy is living in Tottenham on the 1841 anyway. I think she went back to Huntingdonshire to marry or get buried one or the other :rolleyes:

MargaretMarch
29-09-09, 18:02
Merry, are you sure the Lucy you see in 1841 is yours as from the baptism she would be at least 20 by 1841 so not sure why she would be shown as 15, unless you're thinking she was only 19 and they rounded her down?
Margaret

Joan of Archives
29-09-09, 18:08
There is a marriage for a Lucy COLLON who is actually COTTON to a William HOLLELY in 1860 in Tower Hamlets but her father is noted as Richard Perkins Cotton licensed victualler. They were both in their 30s & single so she could still be out there somewhere. I'm just trying to find the above in 1861 to check her dob but obviously they are mistranscribed lol! :rolleyes:

Merry
29-09-09, 20:00
Thanks Joanie!!

Merry, are you sure the Lucy you see in 1841 is yours as from the baptism she would be at least 20 by 1841 so not sure why she would be shown as 15, unless you're thinking she was only 19 and they rounded her down?
Margaret

Not 100% sure, but it's quite conceivable she was rounded down if she was baptised at under four months she wouldn't have yet turned 20 when the census was taken. Her name is relatively uncommon, but it's the brushmaker bit that made me think it must be her.

I have to say I would be happier if I could find her mum (Lydia Cotton b abt 1785 possibly in Souldrop, Beds) on the 1841 census to prove to myself Lucy wasn't with her, but I've never been able to find mum. (she is on some later censuses)

Phoenix
30-09-09, 16:29
Are there any Lucys who might be living in sin on later censuses?

I thought brushmakers "went on the tramp" selling their wares so could marry, etc some little distance from London.

Merry
30-09-09, 17:51
Yes, I think brushmakers did do that, but the other brushmakers in Lucy's family (three brothers) didn't!

I have looked at every Lucy on later censuses, who remembered she was born in Alconbury, without any luck, but I have to remember that some of her brothers kept saying they were born in St Pancras when they were not and they were all older than her! I think only the eldest remembered the name of the actual village - the others stuck to the county (Hunts) only.