PDA

View Full Version : Richard Westlake

geniebug
17-06-11, 09:58
Name - "official" name and what they were known as Richard Westlake
Date and place of birth Abt 1776
Names of parents Robert Westlake and Sarah ...
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any Don't know
Occupation(s) - if any Ag Labourer
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!). The children were all born in Puriton,Somerset, namely
Ann 1797
Honour 1800
Miriam 1801
Sophia 1809
Maria 1812
1841 census shows
Richard Westlake 65, Ag Labourer
Elizabeth 70
Sophia Puddy 30
Matilda Lindham 15
Jane Westlake 7 (Sophia's daugher illegitimate)
Date, place and cause of death Don't know
Date and place of burial.
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Memorial inscription - if any

marquette
17-06-11, 10:12
Some of the Puriton records are on line here -

http://www1.somerset.gov.uk/archives/asp/parsurnm.asp?Surname=westlake

Richard Westlake married Elizabeth Dunstone 6 Sep 1797 in Puriton

All their children's baptisms and some burials and marriages are listed.
Richard baptised to Robert and Sarah 4 Jun 1775. (Freereg says Robert Westlake married Sarah Meare 23 jun 1763, Moorlinch) Banns listed in Puriton (above)

Jane Brimble Westlake baptised 19 Jan 1834.

This page shows all the Somerset pr transcriptions on-line known

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ian.sage/PR/pr_index.html

Di

geniebug
17-06-11, 10:15
Thanks Marquette :)

marquette
17-06-11, 10:20
Somerset's online parish transcriptions are absolutely marvellous, I use them all the time. Not many people know that so many are online

Di

geniebug
17-06-11, 10:22
I didn't know they existed Di, (I'm in Australia by the way) - I'll make good use of that site, I am sure. I am not at my family history computer at the moment, but looking forward to sussing it all out.

geniebug
17-06-11, 12:01
I have found out Richard Westlake was a Parish Church Clerk - I wonder if I could get more information on that? Like - his signature in the church.

This information was noted on the 1851 census.

kiterunner
17-06-11, 12:19
Haven't we done him a couple of times already on TO3G, Jood?

marquette
17-06-11, 12:20
He probably witnessed a lot of marriages, recorded them and may have been a census enumerator too. When I transcribed the 1841 census for Martock Somerset, years ago, I noted the enumerators were the parish clerk and the local surgeon.

You would probably need to see the original registers, or films of them, to see his signature. He might have also written up the Poor Relief and Bastardy Orders, kept the minutes of the Vestry meetings and other stuff. Some this kind of records have been filmed by the LDS, sometimes they are called Parish Chest records.

geniebug
17-06-11, 12:25
Yes, I thought so too - I have the info - but I checked that it was mmmmf - so why did I get the same guy? lol

geniebug
17-06-11, 12:28
Thanks Marquette - would you believe my daughter and I visited Somerset in 1999 and actually went to some place looking for records, but there were too many of our family from there with a common name - we didn't really find anything out - of course we were pretty new at all this.

I'll try and find the Parish chest records

kiterunner
17-06-11, 12:30
Well, your tree could be one of those convoluted ones like my OH's whose grandparents were each other's second cousins? I made sure not to post his duplicated ancestors the second time round!

geniebug
17-06-11, 12:33
I really don't know Kite lol. I was so careful to walk up the tree from my mothers mothers etc etc - and was very surprised to come up with the same guy as a few weeks ago!!!

You will recall you found a brother for Richard (Robert)