PDA

View Full Version : Egyptian research

Olde Crone
16-06-11, 22:17
A most forlorn hope, but does anyone have any experience of Egyptian research?

I have just found my late mother-in-law's marriage announcement and it took place in Alexandria, Egypt in 1943. MIL was born in Egypt (I think) of French/Italian parents.

MIL did give me some information about her parents but I think she told me some porkies and I'd like to try to check.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Thankyou.

OC

Olde Crone
16-06-11, 22:45
Oh, you'll never believe this but I have found her on a huge tree which does correspond more or less with what she told me, except she never told me her grandfather was a manufacturer of pearl buttons HAHAHAHAHA and that her grandfather sired 21 children!

Absolutely amazing is the internet, I never thought I had a hope of tracing her Jewish origins but there it all is!

OC

HarrysMum
16-06-11, 23:19
Well done OC.

marquette
17-06-11, 00:24
What a lucky find - I hope you can get some interesting stories too.

Di

Uncle John
17-06-11, 09:41
At that time Egypt was under British rule, wasn't it?

Olde Crone
17-06-11, 09:58
UJ

Yes, I think it was. Does that mean that their marriage would be recorded in the Overseas register? I would like to confirm the name of her father and his occupation.

OC

Mary from Italy
17-06-11, 11:29
Yes, it should be (with a bit of luck, because I don't think the overseas records are complete).

You can search the overseas registers on FMP or familyrelatives.

http://www.familyrelatives.com/information/info_detail.php?id=100

Chris in Sussex
17-06-11, 13:51
If you can't find a birth or marriage in the GRO overseas index then the British Embassy will, usually, carry out a search.

In 2006 the charge from the Embassy in Cairo was...
£41 for a search and £41 for a certified copy of the certificate.
If they needed to carry out a search of local authority records an additional charge of £84.50 was made but that included the cost of the certificate.

Years later, while I was saving my pennies to go for a search ;( , I actually found the marriage I wanted in Dublin (Don't ask!) so I didn't have to avail myself of their services.

Chris

Margaret in Burton
17-06-11, 15:58
If you can't find a birth or marriage in the GRO overseas index then the British Embassy will, usually, carry out a search.

In 2006 the charge from the Embassy in Cairo was...
£41 for a search and £41 for a certified copy of the certificate.
If they needed to carry out a search of local authority records an additional charge of £84.50 was made but that included the cost of the certificate.

Years later, while I was saving my pennies to go for a search ;( , I actually found the marriage I wanted in Dublin (Don't ask!) so I didn't have to avail myself of their services.

Chris

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Olde Crone
17-06-11, 16:15
Gulp!

OC

Nell
17-06-11, 21:24
OC

When I had a summer job in the DHSS there was a pensioner on our books called Pearl Button! I'll have to kill you now as I signed the Official Secrets Act so I shouldn't have told you that.

There was also a Rose Bush.

Rachel A
17-06-11, 21:27
Do we have to eat your post now, Nell?? :d

Olde Crone
17-06-11, 22:03
Thankyou Nell, if you kill me now you will be doing me a favour!

Why is it so difficult to let go of a "fact" found on the internet? According to several different sources, my MIL's grandfather had 21/23 children. I can only find 10......I have spent almost all day working out the gaps when this poor prolifically breeding woman could have fitted in another birth. It's almost impossible but not quite....the 22nd child of the 23 was "brought up by a sister" - oh yeah, we all know what that means, don't we!

OC