PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool directories 1950s

Merry
13-06-11, 19:08
Research for a friend, so nothing to add to BK6 from this thread

Does anyone go anywhere where there is access to any Liverpool electoral rolls or trade directories?

I have seen some entries in the Ancestry phone books and I need to establish the forenames of the people concerned.

Firstly, there is G White recorded for 51 Holt Road, Anfield, Liverpool (a newsagents shop) He is listed for the address from 1951 - 1953

Secondly, at the same address is Mrs M O White from 1955 until 1964.

I know both these people are dec'd and that Mrs White's middle name was Olwen. I know she was a widow in later life so I'm assuming G White was her husband. I tried looking at deaths for him around 1953-55 and it does seem most likely his name was George, but I could be wrong and I'm getting nowhere without her first name :o

Thanks for reading :)

Tilly Mint
13-06-11, 19:27
Merry, i know a poster on a site i frequent, they have a "Kelly's" 1955, do you want me to ask about your Mrs M O White ?

Merry
13-06-11, 20:00
That's very kind - yes please :D

Tilly Mint
13-06-11, 20:19
I've just posted, Merry...but i've just noticed - it looks as though the poster hasn't online for a while. The site has very helpful and kind people and if they can help in anyway they will.

Merry
13-06-11, 21:10
Fingers crossed then!

garstonite
14-06-11, 07:12
Hiya Merry...can I ask where you got the info that Holt Road was in Anfield ??
Holt road runs from Edge Hill to Kensington....now , there may be another Holt Road in Anfield , but I have never heard of it...Holt Road is on a main bus route and there were many shops on it ....still has quite a few....
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=holt+road+Liverpool&id=8FA13265E6297EAE12448FA13265E6297EAE1244&FORM=IGRE1#x0y0
here are a few photos of it ...the 6th photo has your shop in it ......allan

Merry
14-06-11, 08:00
Hi Allan,

The street you showed me is the one, as I have a photo of the shop in 1957 and found it on Google street maps a couple of week ago - definitely the same place.

I guess the old telephone exchange for Anfield covered Holt Road even if it was out of area - the phone number in the '50s was "Anfield 3303" - this is why I said Anfield :o You would have been even more confused if you had read this post last night as I had originally typed Ancoats instead of Anfield. I do know Ancoats is Manchester, but my brain was tired!! lol