PDA

View Full Version : Double dues?

Merry
09-06-11, 21:40
A link to this thread has been added to BK6 (PH)

I'm just looking at a burial at St Martin Vintry in the City of London in 1783. The entry states:

Peregrine Hogg a child from Edmond the King was buried March 26th in the C Yard. Double dues.

I just wondered what the double dues refered to?

kiterunner
09-06-11, 21:44
Oh, I know I've come across this before, but I can't remember what it was. I'll have to see if we ever found out.

kiterunner
09-06-11, 21:45
Oh, I think it was those ancestors of mine who were "travellers", and they had to pay double dues for the burial because they weren't regular parishioners.

Merry
09-06-11, 21:51
Ah, that's it! All the people on the page who don't have a home parish mentioned, don't have double dues written, but all those who were from elsewhere do!!

Thanks Kate :)

tenterfieldjulie
09-06-11, 22:59
Would he have been King of the Gypsies/Romanies?

Merry
10-06-11, 06:25
Erm , no Julie - that's the name of the parish where he lived!

The churches of All Hallows Lombard Street, Saint Benet Gracechurch, Saint Dionis Backchurch, Saint Edmund the King and Martyr, Saint Leonard Eastcheap and Saint Nicholas Acons were all destroyed in the Great Fire in 1666. Saint Edmund the King and Martyr was rebuilt by Wren and Robert Hooke in 1670-9 and the spire completed in 1708. The parish of Saint Edmund the King and Martyr, Lombard Street, was united to the parish of Saint Nicholas Acons in 1670. Saint Edmund the King and Martyr remains the parish church.

Only I spelled the Edmund part wrong! lol

Sadly, unless I can find a baptism for Peregrine Hogg I won't know what to do with him, as my tree is currently awash with Hoggs and Peregrines!!