PDA

View Full Version : Registrar attending

Cheshirelass73
07-06-11, 14:32
Can anyone tell me what this means please
Leigh Register Office or Registrar Attended

This is 1932 were there places for marriages besides Registry Offices or churches?

kiterunner
07-06-11, 14:46
When civil registration started in 1837, if you got married in a non-conformist place of worship (chapel, etc) the registrar had to be there to register the marriage, but the rules were changed in 1898 to allow non-conformist places of worship to have their own representative authorised to register weddings, so if it was in 1932 I think it is likely to mean the marriage took place at the register office.

Cheshirelass73
07-06-11, 14:48
Thanks for that Kiterunner

Olde Crone
07-06-11, 16:53
Not all nonconformist chapels and churches botheed to have an authorised person to perform marriages, especially if they were very small, so in that case the registrar would still attend even after 1898. The marriage would not be recorded in the relevant chapel as it would not have a marriage register, but would be recorded by the registrar in his register.

OC

Uncle John
07-06-11, 20:24
OC's comment still applies today. And if the minister chosen by the couple to perform the ceremony isn't licensed by the local registrar to perform marriages at that church, the registrar (or the licensed incumbent) has to do the legal bit of the service.

nappycat
08-06-11, 08:58
I got married in a Baptist Church in 1960 and had to have a registrar present. The vicar took the service, but the registrar was there to validate it[I hope]!

brenmac
08-06-11, 11:22
yes wherever you get married and that could be in your own home it still has to have a registrar....we have reg ministers in our kingdom hall but you still need a registrar..brenda xxx

Uncle John
08-06-11, 22:06
Probably Bren because they don't want the responsibility of safekeeping of a marriage register. And the indelible ink is real nasty to pens.