PDA

View Full Version : can someone please verify something for me on john mccartie

brenmac
07-06-11, 08:04
i have police records of trevors great grandad,paper cuttings 2 wedding certs i know he was born in cork ireland .i have a lot of info on him yet my daughter found a site and she is saying her great grandad came from kent all the other info matches but yet what i have documents all say he was born in ireland.are we talking about the same person some names she has matches.even bishop mccartie who is trevors rellie.

http://cmgurney.blogspot.com/2010/11/beau-brummell-of-yard.html

by the way some info was found by you kind people.thankyou brenda xxxx

brenmac
07-06-11, 08:23
http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk479/brendamccartie/policedocument.jpg
this is our police document,we have paper clipping on his death..on his 2 wedding cert his father is dennis she has him as richard,also misspelling his name mccarthy..brenda xxx

kiterunner
07-06-11, 09:02
Brenda, the John McCarthy in that blog was born in 1863 and was head of CID and retired in 1918 and died in 1927 but your John McCartie was born in 1846, retired in 1898 at the rank of Inspector, and died in 1928. Which details match between the two men, please? I can't see where it mentions a bishop?

brenmac
07-06-11, 12:01
you click on other things she has she mentions also my john was also on the ripper case it seems odd two john mccarties at the same metropolitan station .also john died 1928 and in the paper clipping it mentions 2 daughters.on another blog i saw of her,s not sure if it was on facebook that she said he was born cork ireland yet in this blog she says kent.im going to email the met and ask them did they have 2 john mccartie,s working there ...they were very helpfull last time.also they both died in there 80,s.my john died 17th dec 1928 aged 80.also she mentions a breen and she married a robert john trevors grandparents.brenda xxxx

kiterunner
07-06-11, 12:28
John McCarthy on the blog died in 1927 age 63, not in his 80's. There wouldn't have been two John McCarties working there because this one was a McCarthy.

I can't see a Breen or a Robert John mentioned on her site, sorry. Hope you manage to sort it out!

brenmac
07-06-11, 15:17
http://cmgurney.blogspot.com/2010/12/porter-tells-porkies-to-police.html
more info breen is spelt different again brenda xxx

maggie_4_7
07-06-11, 15:36
Yeah but it still maintains that this John McCarthy was born in 1863 in Kent father Richard and mother Catherine.

Name is McCarthy I expect a lot of people were born in Cork Ireland and loads of Irish people came to the mainland because of the Potato famine I think they are two separate people unless your John's father is named Richard!

kiterunner
07-06-11, 15:40
Brenda, do you mean Catherine Brien? I think Brien would be a variation of O'Brian, not of Breen. And it says that she married a Richard McCarthy, in 1856.

Your Robert John McCartie married Margaret Breen in 1908.

brenmac
07-06-11, 16:11
thankyou for your input ,and help , brenda xxx

JessBow
07-06-11, 18:17
What did your chap die of? do you have his death Cert? the chap in the article died of spine cancer in 1927

brenmac
08-06-11, 08:38
jess i dont know as i have only the paper clipping and it doesnt mention it,i never sent for the death cert but 80 was a good age.i wonder if they were related?because mccartie and mccarthy was spelt sometimes either way but i have certs with mccartie,it intrested me as both were in the same force same name either spelling differently so i wonder if she had accidently put the dates wrong if she didnt have the right info.but thankyou brenda xxx

JessBow
08-06-11, 11:21
The chap in the artical was only 64 when he died - so in answer to your question, No they are not one & the same person.

Your police letter ( above) says your bloke joined in 1868
the other chap, (in the article) wasn't born until 1863, so was only 3 when your bloke signed up.

your chap ( again from above letter ) was married to a Mary ( possibly Marriages Jun 1894
McCartie John /Hawthorne Mary / Roche Mary
Fulham 1a 517

The chap in the Article was married to Agnes McCarthy nee Fritz.( Marriages Sep 1887 John McCarthy /FRITZ Agnes Holborn 1b 1136 )

brenmac
08-06-11, 11:23
but could be related as his parents came from ireland too.brenda xxx

JessBow
08-06-11, 11:38
If you want to try & find a link between McCartie & Mccarthy, Born ''IRELAND'' carry on!

Eventually we could all find a way to link ourselves to anyone, if we go back far enough.

brenmac
08-06-11, 13:12
thats what im going to do,i have already had a phone call from the met so i may well get further,i worked for a bagshawe the e was addedd 200 years ago so there name 200 years ago was bagshaw.....so to rule out because of spelling would be silly. brenda xxx

lozaras
08-06-11, 15:14
This may interest you Bren. You'll have to get a long way back though, both names come from the 11th century.

McCarthy Surname Origin
The son of Carrthach, an Irish chieftain, who lived in the eleventh century.
Source: An Etymological Dictionary of Family and Christian Names With an Essay on their Derivation and Import; Arthur, William, M.A.; New York, NY: Sheldon, Blake, Bleeker & CO., 1857.

Last name: McCarty
This famous Irish clan surname descends from the early kings of Ireland. Recorded in the spellings of MacCarhty, McCarthy, MacCarty and McCarty, it is an anglicized form of the Gaelic "Mac Carthaigh", the prefix "Mac" denoting son of, plus the byname "Carthach" meaning "loving". Given that the clan were long famous for their territorial and disputes with their neighbours, may suggest that the name was a nickname, and an ironic one at that! Today the clan has some thirty thousand members within Ireland, the great majority still living in the their original homelands in County Cork. Those with the spelling as Mccarty or MacCarhty are most prominent in County Wexford, in the South East of Ireland. The clan descends, or so it is claimed, from the 3rd Century a.d. King of Munster, Oilioll Olum. The earliest recognisable nameholder was probably 'Carthach, Lord of Eoghannacht, who died in 1045. Amongst the notable early nameholders was Fineen Mac Carthy Reagh, chief of the barony of Carbery in West Cork in 1572, and who resided at the famous Blarney Castle. He is also famous for being the originator of the word 'blarney', to indicate a verbal smokescreen. Justin MacCarthy, was created Earl of Mountcashell by King James 11 in 1688. He subsequently commandered the Irish Brigade in the army of France, before being killed in 1694. The coat of arms of the clan has a silver field, charged with a red stag trippant, gold attired (horned) and unguled (hoofed). The arms suggest a person of loyalty and speed of action, who is well rewarded. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of MacCarthy Mor, which was dated 1172, rendered homage to Henry 11 of England, during the reign of Ruairi O'Conchubhaire, High King of Ireland, 1166 - 1198. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

© Copyright: Name Origin Research www.surnamedb.com 1980 - 2011
Read more: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Mccarty#ixzz1OhJqSJmv

brenmac
08-06-11, 16:39
lol thankyou sarah ,yes cork seems to be were they all origanated from and changing the spelling makes it even harder. more research lol brenda xxx

Nell
08-06-11, 18:31
Or in the case of my ex's McCarthys decided to become Carter for a while just to add to the confusion!

Thanks to peeps on this site I now know that Callaghan McCarthy came from Fermoy in County Cork, so I have got somewhere to start on.