PDA

View Full Version : Some deciphering needed

maggie_4_7
05-06-11, 13:34
Can anyone read the name of the grandson?

Thank you.

kiterunner
05-06-11, 13:38
Surname looks like Millett or Willett.

Nell
05-06-11, 13:46
Looks like Millett - could be Mallett though.

maggie_4_7
06-06-11, 08:20
Sorry forgot about this yesterday.

Okay thank you.

The thing with this Scottish death cert is this is for a man named George Murray Henderson McMillan for 1946.

Both George and his wife Edna did not have any children in 13 years of marriage by the 1911 census so I checked after 1911 and came up with one possible in 1921 which would have made Edna 45! I only managed to pick this one out because it’s exactly the same name as George. McMillan is a very common name in New Cumnock probably all related to my family in some way. Can't download it it's too late have to order it online.

Well even if they had a child in 1912 that would only make them 35 and so how old would a grandchild be?

Edit to say: Just sent a message to SP to see if they can clarify what the name is. It just occured to me I did this before with a census and they looked at the original.

Uncle John
06-06-11, 11:07
Usually SP will offer to rescan and will email you a copy.

maggie_4_7
07-06-11, 10:00
I got an email back from them this morning and that is exactly what they are going to do.

So I'll let you know what it actually is when I get it.

maggie_4_7
08-06-11, 08:09
Well they emailed me a better copy and it is G McMillan which is what I expected so I think that George M H McMillan born 1921 must have been his grandson - I can't see how if in 1911 there wasn't any children born to George and Edith how they can have a grandson in 1921!

It's not vital I know who his parents are George McMillan was my Great Grandmother's youngest brother but now it's got me wondering because the dates don't add up I will have to send for birth cert because of my curiosity.

kiterunner
08-06-11, 08:16
Could George have been married before and had children from his first marriage?

maggie_4_7
08-06-11, 08:35
That just occurred to me too.

George was born in 1876 and married in 1898 to Edith when he was 21 but I suppose it is possible that there was a brief marriage and his wife died.

Edit to say: It has bachelor on his marriage cert to Edith though.

maggie_4_7
11-06-11, 14:27
Didn't find another marriage George didn't really move out of New Cumnock to be honest once he got there he stay and died there I think (his family is the McMillans that were travellers and travelled Scotland) - he was the school janitor.

I have sent for George Murray H McMillan birth cert born 1921 just so I can see but lets put it this way even if he's not a direct descendent of George Murray Henderson McMillan he's sure to be a son or grandson of one of his brothers I would think with that name.