PDA

View Full Version : Marriage Blessing

Rachel
04-06-11, 12:14
I've been unable to find the marriage of Gt scary Aunt, which I believe took place in Nov 1949.

In the 1970s she and Gt Uncle had the marriage blessed at a church ~ that probably means it was a 25 year anniversary occasion.

Would there be a record of this ? and might that reveal her maiden surname ?

Margaret in Burton
04-06-11, 12:55
There may be some record in the church marriage register or somewhere in the parish records.

Want to give some names and I'll see if I can find anything?

Did they have any children? The birth records give mothers maiden name.

Rachel
04-06-11, 13:01
No children Marg ~ the blessing was in Oxford and I have a contact who belongs to the Oxford FHS, maybe I'll try that

Thanks for the suggestion :D a good idea I'd not thought of

The surname's Roe

Merry
04-06-11, 13:12
The other surname wasn't Carpenter?

Rachel
04-06-11, 14:05
The other surname wasn't Carpenter?

Auntie's maiden name is the great mystery.
She was born in Eire and we don't know the name of her father but think he was American or Canadian.
Her mum's married name was Connor

Merry
04-06-11, 14:07
So she married a Mr Roe? :confused:

Olde Crone
04-06-11, 14:08
Ahem, my friends had their marriage blessed 17 years into the marriage. This renewal of their vows was prompted because hubby had strayed and had been forgiven.

OC

Rachel
04-06-11, 14:34
So she married a Mr Roe? :confused:

Yes she married Patrick Wilmot Roe .... probably in Ceylon where they lived for decades

Oh .... hm hmmmm .... Patrick Wilmot Beresford Meredith Roe
Born 1906 Southsea Hants.
I see that the Roe family left Cheltenham, England for Colombo, Ceylon in 1924
They went first class of course

Merry
04-06-11, 14:58
Yes she married Patrick Wilmot Roe .... probably in Ceylon where they lived for decades

Ohhhhhh, I thought you meant they married in Oxford, where the marriage was blessed, but you couldn't find it in the GRO indexes!

Rachel
04-06-11, 15:03
Ohhhhhh, I thought you meant they married in Oxford, where the marriage was blessed, but you couldn't find it in the GRO indexes!

No dammit .... that would be far too easy !

Sorry for any confusion. Just blame it on Auntie :D

tenterfieldjulie
05-06-11, 09:20
Just thought I'd add this thought, not sure if it is relevant. Sometimes marriages are blessed in a church, because the original marriage was a civil ceremony. Sometimes if there is an impediment to a church marriage (as in the case of Prince Charles 2nd marriage) the first marriage is civil and then there is a church blessing. Most often though the blessing comes after the death of a spouse (from a first marriage) which caused the impediment.

Olde Crone
05-06-11, 09:44
Oh Julie you clever girl! I of all people should know that as my second marriage was in the Register Office followed by a church blessing (same day).

OC

Nell
05-06-11, 09:53
I had friends who were of different religions. They married in the C of E church but the local Catholic priest did a blessing immediately after the ceremony.

HarrysMum
05-06-11, 10:11
Good one Julie..............I, like OC, should have known that. We were married in a garden with a blessing at the Catholic Church later..........lol

tenterfieldjulie
05-06-11, 10:54
I remember that a couple first had a civil marriage and when they could make their vows in a church, it was considered a blessing by priest, as they already had a legal marriage. So there are all sorts of different connotations as noted by OC and Lib

Uncle John
05-06-11, 18:50
And running further back up the thread, there would be no record in the church marriage register, which is a legal record of marriages, not to be sullied by miscellaneous happenings.

HarrysMum
05-06-11, 19:29
And running further back up the thread, there would be no record in the church marriage register, which is a legal record of marriages, not to be sullied by miscellaneous happenings.

But, if you get hold of the church newsletter, it's possibly there. Some are actually on Google Books.

Lynn the Forest Fan
05-06-11, 21:42
My marriage was in a C of E church, but we had a RC blessing a few weeks later.

tenterfieldjulie
05-06-11, 23:12
I'm thinking it is possible if a marriage took place in Ceylon (Sri Lanka) it was possibly a civil ceremony at a town hall, then when they arrived home they had a blessing in their local church with their family?

Rachel
06-06-11, 08:02
Cheers Julie
I've emailed my OFHS contact and will twiddle my thumbs in a useful fashion while I wait :D

S'pose I may as well put the marriage pic on here ... apologies to UJ and anyone else whose seen it before.

On the back is written 'Nov. 1949'

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/rachelscand/SPwedding1.jpg

Merry
06-06-11, 11:32
She doesn't look scarey!

The chap at the far right is one of my relatives!!! lol (well, looks like it, in which case are you sure the photo wasn't taken in bristol?!! :cool:)

Rachel
06-06-11, 12:51
She doesn't look scarey!

The chap at the far right is one of my relatives!!! lol (well, looks like it, in which case are you sure the photo wasn't taken in bristol?!! :cool:)

Don't actually know where it was taken ~ Ceylon was an educated guess because they lived there until the Brits were kicked out but it could be anywhere.
I've not found a record of it.

Gt arnt looks far more imposing when wearing her winged, sparkly specs !
She was very outspoken, which was alarming for small children and I remember being on a bus with her (primary school age) when she was back in the UK for a visit.
She burped out loud, tutted and blamed it on me ~ evidently thought it was a good joke but I was mortified because I didn't know grown-ups did things like that.

So what's the name of your relative ?

Merry
06-06-11, 16:15
Frederick Charles Hunt. He's in the photo in this post:

http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=121137&postcount=2

front left and his brother in the back row. :) Just a tad older than your man!

Rachel
06-06-11, 16:16
March. 1957 ~ blimey, she'd only have been 43 at the most

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/rachelscand/Sallie1.jpg

Rachel
06-06-11, 16:30
Frederick Charles Hunt. He's in the photo in this post:

http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=121137&postcount=2

front left and his brother in the back row. :) Just a tad older than your man!

Well there certainly is a similarity but yours are better looking and not doing any weird posing !

Oooo the woman at the back looks like Michael Wilding and a female presenter on one of the TV shopping channels:D :D:D and the man at the back reminds me of another actor .... ummmm ? Richard Pascoe ?

The surnames don't mean anything to me :(

Here's mine enlarged a bit ~ doesn't look quite so bad after all :D

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/rachelscand/Sallieweddingbloke1.jpg

Uncle John
06-06-11, 18:48
a female presenter on one of the TV shopping channels

Do we do downwardly mobile on this forum?

Rachel
06-06-11, 19:05
Do we do downwardly mobile on this forum?

It is sometimes necessary to check that one has not made some ghastly mistake and bought a load of tat, especially where vintage jewellery is concerned

lozaras
06-06-11, 19:13
I'm thinking it is possible if a marriage took place in Ceylon (Sri Lanka) it was possibly a civil ceremony at a town hall, then when they arrived home they had a blessing in their local church with their family?

Could another possibility be proxy?
A friend's Italian parents married in Italy while the groom was in England (the bride's father stood in at the church).
25 years later they got married in each other's presence too!!

Rachel
06-06-11, 22:37
Could another possibility be proxy?
A friend's Italian parents married in Italy while the groom was in England (the bride's father stood in at the church).
25 years later they got married in each other's presence too!!

They were definitely both living in Ceylon until the 1960s and came back to the UK occasionally for a visit.
I'm sure the blessing would have been to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary.
I remember going to it but have no idea which Church it was at and there was a gathering at their home afterwards, where Auntie kept complaining about 'the bloody Vicar' eating and drinking everything :d