PDA

View Full Version : London Probate Index - findmypast

kiterunner
01-06-11, 17:12
Link to info about it:

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/media/news/news-item.jsp?doc=londonprobate.html

kiterunner
01-06-11, 17:23
Now can anyone tell me, is there any way of telling from the list of search results, which entries are in the new London Probate Index? Is it all the ones that say "London" for the county, or were there some of those already?

maggie_4_7
01-06-11, 18:05
No idea but I just found a listing for:-

Ann Wallis Hoye Jan 1848 Essex
Will
Consistory Court Of London
Administration With Will

How do I get to look at the Will do I have to go to the Family Courts at Holborn?

maggie_4_7
01-06-11, 18:08
Now can anyone tell me, is there any way of telling from the list of search results, which entries are in the new London Probate Index? Is it all the ones that say "London" for the county, or were there some of those already?

What I think it means is that they have added the nine courts not covered by Canterbury.

"This index covers the administration of estates at nine courts not covered by the index for London and Middlesex probate entries 1750-1858 in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury (PCC) series held at The National Archives. "

kiterunner
01-06-11, 18:22
Yes, I know that, Maggie, thanks, but what I meant was, I can't see a way of searching the London Probate Index on its own, only as part of their whole "Probate and Wills Records Collection 1462-1858", so then when the results come up, how can I tell which of them are from the London Probate Index? Or is there a way of only searching that database on its own?

kiterunner
01-06-11, 18:26
No idea but I just found a listing for:-

Ann Wallis Hoye Jan 1848 Essex
Will
Consistory Court Of London
Administration With Will

How do I get to look at the Will do I have to go to the Family Courts at Holborn?

It won't be at Holborn because they only have the post-1858 ones. It looks likely that it is at the LMA, and also it seems the index is available free from the LMA site as a series of PDF's, not sure whether it includes all the records that are in the findmypast index though:

LMA Volunteers (http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Leisure_and_culture/Records_and_archives/About_LMA/Volunteers.htm)

(scroll down to "Diocese of London Consistory Court Wills index")

Oh, Ann Wallis Hoye is in the H section on there.

maggie_4_7
01-06-11, 18:34
Yes, I know that, Maggie, thanks, but what I meant was, I can't see a way of searching the London Probate Index on its own, only as part of their whole "Probate and Wills Records Collection 1462-1858", so then when the results come up, how can I tell which of them are from the London Probate Index? Or is there a way of only searching that database on its own?

Oh yes I see what you mean.

:confused:

ElizabethHerts
01-06-11, 20:02
Here is the box for searching - I don't think it was there earlier!

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/probate-records-collection-search-start.action?redef=0&event=P

kiterunner
07-06-11, 08:57
Ah, there's a dropdown menu now so you can choose which database to search.