PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please decipher?

geniebug
29-05-11, 00:24
I have an 1851 census which shows Alexander Grieve ( I think ) - the 15th entry down. I wonder if someone could decipher that whole entry please )it looks like William Cherry) - if so - was there a marriage between a William Cherry and Agnes Grieve, thus making Alexander the presumably widowed father in law?

Langley Vale Sue
29-05-11, 06:19
I don't know anything about Scottish censuses, but it looks to me as if Alexander is a Lodger. Would it not say if he was the Father-in-Law? The person above Alexander, whose surname I can't decipher, looks to be Grandson of the Head. Would his surname help you?

Sorry I'm not much help am I? :(

geniebug
29-05-11, 07:04
I agree, Sue - I had another look in good light. It says he was a lodger, and his occupation camper - formerly weaver. I can't make put where he was born tho - maybe it says Renfrew - something or other. Widower 78. So he is obviously no relation to the others in that group.

If he was 78 in 1851 Census, that would make his year of birth about 1773 - he was married in 1794, and first child born 1795, so it must be him. Seems it wasn't Paisley he was born in - maybe someone else can decipher the town.

maggie_4_7
29-05-11, 07:31
It could be Port Glasgow, Renfewshire, it has 'do' so Renfrewshire and then I thought it started with a P the only other place in Renfrewshire other that the Paisleys is Port Glasgow so then I looked on Ancestry and they have transcribed it as Port Glasgow.

geniebug
29-05-11, 07:35
Thanks Maggie - I didn't know Glasgow was anywhere near the water !! I had thought of Partick but not sure if that is in Renfrewshire (but it's definitely NOT Partick)

I'll take your word for it. Thanks

maggie_4_7
29-05-11, 07:36
I think that William Cherry married Agnes Cochran

Groom's Name: William Cherry
Groom's Birth Date:
Groom's Birthplace:
Groom's Age:
Bride's Name: Agnes Cochran
Bride's Birth Date:
Bride's Birthplace:
Bride's Age:
Marriage Date: 21 Jul 1811
Marriage Place: High Church,Paisley,Renfrew,Scotland
Groom's Father's Name:
Groom's Mother's Name:
Bride's Father's Name:
Bride's Mother's Name:
Groom's Race:
Groom's Marital Status:
Groom's Previous Wife's Name:
Bride's Race:
Bride's Marital Status:
Bride's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M11573-5
System Origin: Scotland-ODM
Source Film Number: 1041283

The only other one is Agnes Ewing

Groom's Name: William Cherry
Groom's Birth Date:
Groom's Birthplace:
Groom's Age:
Bride's Name: Agnes Ewing
Bride's Birth Date:
Bride's Birthplace:
Bride's Age:
Marriage Date: 11 Oct 1834
Marriage Place: Abbey Paisley,Renfrew,Scotland
Groom's Father's Name:
Groom's Mother's Name:
Bride's Father's Name:
Bride's Mother's Name:
Groom's Race:
Groom's Marital Status:
Groom's Previous Wife's Name:
Bride's Race:
Bride's Marital Status:
Bride's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M11958-9
System Origin: Scotland-ODM
Source Film Number: 889472
Reference Number:
Collection: Scotland Marriages, 1561-1910

But I think it's the first one because it's in exactly the same place as the census High Church, Paisley.

maggie_4_7
29-05-11, 07:39
Thanks Maggie - I didn't know Glasgow was anywhere near the water !! I had thought of Partick but not sure if that is in Renfrewshire (but it's definitely NOT Partick)

I'll take your word for it. Thanks

Port Glasgow isn't Glasgow city it's in Renfrewshire in Inverclyde up the coast along the Clyde.

geniebug
29-05-11, 07:46
Port Glasgow isn't Glasgow city it's in Renfrewshire in Inverclyde up the coast along the Clyde.

Thanks Maggie - for the information. Although I have been to Glasgow (from Australia) - I am still not familiar with the placement of other towns in the area. I think we only went to Edinburgh, Glasgow and Ayrshire. (Couldn't tell you what was in between lol)

tenterfieldjulie
29-05-11, 10:07
Jood, One of my ancestors was with his sil and dau in Censuses in Somerset and he was always called a lodger, I think relations were often called lodgers.

geniebug
29-05-11, 10:51
That's interesting to know Julie - but I can't identify the other people in that group - the ages are not right, nor are the christian names. Alexander is definitely the guy - age is right. Did you notice that he was a camper though???

His children (I believe) would have been
Patrick 56
Robert 54
Alexander 47 &
Peter 46 at the time of the 1851 census.

Nell
29-05-11, 10:54
Just to say that in my research, relatives are as likely to be called Lodgers or Boarders or Visitors as they are to have their relationship specified, where they aren't part of the nuclear (head, wife, children) family.

Uncle John
29-05-11, 20:19

Glasgow has the River Clyde running through the middle of it!