PDA

View Full Version : Children's Homes

Muggins in Sussex
28-05-11, 17:36
I have a feeling I may have asked this before :confused: - but if I did, I cannot find the thread :confused: - so aplogies if I am repeating myself - maybe I just thought it and didn't post it! :d

If a newborn baby was put in a Children's Home in about 1919, and the baby was subsequently "adopted", would it have been possible for the adoptive parents to re-register the birth giving the baby their own surname?

kiterunner
28-05-11, 17:48
No, they wouldn't have been able to.

Muggins in Sussex
28-05-11, 17:58
Thanks, Kite :) - that eliminates one of my theories - although I now realise it wasn't a credible theory in the first place - sorry :(:(

Merry
28-05-11, 18:36
Couldn't they legally adopt the child after 1927/9 (whenever, I've forgotten the year official adoption was set up)? Then there would be an adoption cert as well as the original. (I realise that isn't quite what you asked)

Olde Crone
28-05-11, 18:43
Anything is POSSIBLE. Whether it is likely is something else.

Why would they register the child's birth as their own, fraudulently? I mean, to what end?

OC

Mary from Italy
28-05-11, 20:38
If it was actually the wife's child, it could have been re-registered after she married the father.

Muggins in Sussex
29-05-11, 16:43
Couldn't they legally adopt the child after 1927/9 (whenever, I've forgotten the year official adoption was set up)? Then there would be an adoption cert as well as the original. (I realise that isn't quite what you asked)

I hadn't thought of that, Merry - thanks :)
Anything is POSSIBLE. Whether it is likely is something else.

Why would they register the child's birth as their own, fraudulently? I mean, to what end?

OC

I've no idea, OC - but I always have had the feeling that the answer to my problem is very close to home

If it was actually the wife's child, it could have been re-registered after she married the father.

Hadn't thought of that, Mary - thanks - new possibilities open :)