PDA

View Full Version : Naming patterns

Muggins in Sussex
28-05-11, 17:11
Was it common for parents to give their children forenames beginning with the same initial? - I am thinking 1910-1920 time?

Thanks

Merry
28-05-11, 17:18
In England?

I have one family on my tree who named their children A....., B...., C.... etc and another where they all began with L for no apparent reason, but both of those families are quite a lot earlier than you are talking about. The only oddity I have from that era is a family with two sons called Frederick, both alive at the same time.

I don't think it was common, but probably happened occasionally. Families were generally smaller by 1910, so it might be easier to almost accidentally have several with the same initial!

Muggins in Sussex
28-05-11, 17:23
Thanks Merry

Yes, in England - I was thinking specifically of two children called Eileen (b.1909) and Eric (b.1919) and trying to work out whether they are siblings - ooh this has given me another quandry I think! :eek:

Uncle John
28-05-11, 19:28
Names go in and out of fashion all the time, for all sorts of reason. It's much more likely to be a coincidence - you need a sample bigger than 2 to prove a trend!

Mary from Italy
28-05-11, 20:35
I have quite a big tree, and just one family where all the 10 children had a Christian name beginning with A.

I'm afraid you're clutching at straws here...

Nell
29-05-11, 08:34
I don't think you can deduce anything from a name beginning with the same letter. But I do have a gt aunt who named her children Eleanor and Eric and I have several families with children whose first names begin with the same initial.

I'm with Mary, straws and clutching!

Muggins in Sussex
29-05-11, 16:36
Thanks all- yes, I am clutching at straws! - but it's got the the stage where straws is all I have :d