PDA

View Full Version : Frederickborough, Canada

tenterfieldjulie
20-05-11, 13:33
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me where exactly in Canada was Frederickborough? On 4th July 1849, John Holmes Reid son of James Johnstone Reid and Margaret Malcolm Holmes was born there. The family migrated from Ayrshire in Scotland in early 1840s, but found Canada's winters too severe and eventually returned to Scotland, before migrating to Australia in 1854.

Ammanda Schutz
20-05-11, 14:14
Julie, are you sure it is Frederickborough and not Fredericksburg?
There are two Fredericksburgs, one in Ontario that is not really a town and the other in New Brunswick. If the family came from Scotland it is quite likely they went to the Maritime Provinces.

kiterunner
20-05-11, 14:15
It says "western Canada" in a newspaper article from 1979 on John Holmes Reid (in the Public Member Photos & Scanned Documents section of ancestry), if that's any help.

kiterunner
20-05-11, 14:18
And "The Life of John Holmes Reid" states that, "The location of this town is not shown on the standard atlas so it is thought to have been a small settlement."

tenterfieldjulie
20-05-11, 22:59
Thanks Ammanda and Kate. It is definitely what I typed and yes I have the Life of John Holmes Reid which says that it is thought to have been a small settlement. I am hoping that their may be local knowledge of that time which may pinpoint it to a specific location.

Jenoco
21-05-11, 21:03
There was a place called Frederick in British Columbia but can't find a Fredericksborough.
http://www.roadsidethoughts.com/bc/frederick-nearby.htm

I'm away on vacation for the next month but let me know if you don't have any luck and I'll take a trip to the Vancouver Public Library to see if I can find it in BC.

tenterfieldjulie
23-05-11, 10:44
Thanks Jenny. I don't think the place exists now, JH Reid was born there in 1849 so it might be hard to trace. I'd really appreciate you trying though when you are able.

Jenoco
26-05-11, 03:33
I'm happy to see if I can find anything at the library but as I'm away for a while, may need a prod so if you don't hear from me, please remind me :)

tenterfieldjulie
26-05-11, 07:31
Will do, thanks Jenny. It's been a mystery for years. I don't think the family think it will ever be found, but I'd love to surprise them lol:D