PDA

View Full Version : John Jaffrey, Roxburghshire, Scotland

tenterfieldjulie
20-05-11, 13:00
Name: John Jaffrey/Jeffrey
Date and place of birth: 9 April 1805, Kersmains, Roxburghshire (not proved)
Names of parents: John Jaffrey (not proved)
Date and place of baptism: Church of Scotland, Roxburghshire (possibly Roxburgh)
Marriage: Ellen (Helen) Thompson around 1828 (before birth of daughter)
Addresses: Kersmain Farm, Roxburghshire, Scotland (daughter Elizabeth born 1829)
1841 Census: East Nisbet cottages (gone by 1859) 4 miles Kersmains – John Jaffrey 80 years, Pauper, born Roxburghshire, Helen Jaffrey, 30 years, Ag Lab, born England, Elizabeth Jaffrey 12 years, ag labourer born Roxburghshire. 1851 Census: Longnewton Place Farm, Ancrum , Roxburghshire, 600 acre farm belonging to Carmiechal family – Betsey Jeffrey unmarried female servant aged 22 born Kersmains. In 1855 Elizabeth Jeffrey migrated to Australia. Shipping List says of Kersmains, Roxburghshire, parents John Jeffrey farmer and Ellen Thompson, both deceased.
Date, place and cause of death: Probably before 1841, definitely before 1855
Date and place of burial: Unknown
Details of will; Unknown
Memorial inscription: Unknown
On a visit to Roxburghshire, I found from the Kelso Archives held at Hawick, estate papers relating to John Jaffrey, tenant at Kersmains. He was forced by the Duke of Roxburghshire to sell up because of his debts. The first deposition was dated Nov. 1816.
KiteRunner – found in Google books – births of children of Mr & Mrs John Jaffrey at Kersmains – James 12/2/1802 and 9/4/1805 unnamed twins.
I purchased a will for John Jaffrey, proven in 1851, after his son James returned from South America. John Jaffrey farmer of Kersmains had died 23 October 1822 and was residing at St Anns Yard Abbey in Edinburgh.
Working backwards: Elizabeth born 1829, Ellen born 1806 married John (could he be one of the twins born 1805?), whose father John (calculate born 1780) died 1822. If his father was the John, born 1756/9 (1841 Census East Nisbet) then they are tied in, but I need a lot of luck to tie them together.