PDA

View Full Version : bounty immigrants

anne fraser
19-05-11, 14:14
A contact on ancestry has refered to my Dando family Edward, Lydia and Jabez as bounty immigrants to Australia. This would have been 1851. They were siblings and I think Jabez would have been about 15. I have not come across the term before. Has any one else come across it. The family seem to have been blacksmiths.

Guinevere
19-05-11, 18:14
This page has some information

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hilaryfr/booth/bounty.htm

tenterfieldjulie
19-05-11, 22:11
Anne, immigration to Australia was firstly government officials/soldiers and convicts, then came the bounty immigrants. These are great people to trace, because their fares were paid by a bounty agent and there was quite a bit of paperwork involved. The person/family was bound to work for a person in NSW (usually) for a particular time. There was certain criteria to be met, but be aware that in order to fit the criteria the ages were often altered if they were too old etc.

Ammanda Schutz
20-05-11, 00:34
Anne, I looked at the Bounty ships that arrived in 1851 on the NSW site. I did not see your family however you can check the site for other years.
The listings have to be viewed page by page but the images are good quality. It is just time consuming.
www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/nrs-lists/nrs-5316

marquette
20-05-11, 07:31
I found that Jabez died in 1889, aged 57 years. That puts his birth about 1832 and if he migrated at 15y, then that would be about 1857. (He married in 1884 in NSW)

He's definitley not on the assisted immigrants index for NSWor Vic, not unassisted either - could he have come as a crew member ? His death cert will detail how long in Aus and where and occupation, but I guess its just a curiosity, not a necessity.

Edward and Lydia were assisted migrants into Victoria, in 1853 (ship Australia) Edward 22, Lydia 16, also Frank 1 and Susannah 21.

Di

marquette
20-05-11, 07:36
ooh, you ought to research Jabez Dando in Trove (the Australian Newspapers database), he gets a lot of mentions for all sorts of interesting things including his wife marrying him bigamously !!!

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q=jabez+dando

Olde Crone
20-05-11, 07:36
Um, 1847! (1832+15=1847)

OC

marquette
20-05-11, 07:41
Looks like Edward settled in Tasmania

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q=edward+dando

Had a thought - could Frank be Jabez, wrongly transcribed and age wrong ? You would need to look at the original, but I hunted for ages for Francis Cole before I realised they meant Thomas - identical wife and children, but it did not "click" for a long time.

marquette
20-05-11, 07:50
Um, 1847! (1832+15=1847)

OC
Sorry can't add up in my head at all.

Susannah married in Tasmania too, abt 1878.
Lydia married Richard Wroght (Wright?) showing on ancestry, no year available to me, possibly Victoria

Di

tenterfieldjulie
20-05-11, 10:02
Well done Di. When I get time, I'll see if I can pick the marriage up on the Vic microfilm.
Di did you look on the transcription on Trove or the original newspapers.]+ I have found transcriptions that are not remotely like the original.

kiterunner
20-05-11, 10:58
Year is 1858, and yes, in Victoria. Registration number 1666, if that's any help. One entry says Wright, the other says Wroght. Two children of Richard Wright and Lydia Dando come up on Victoria births and no Wroght ones, so it looks as though the surname should be Wright. One child named Richard, not figured out the other one's name yet!

kiterunner
20-05-11, 11:03
Ah, found their deaths - Richd Chas Wright (Wroght on ancestry) died at Clunes, Victoria, 1885, age 24, parents Richd and Lydia Dando. And Wm Wright died at Melbourne, Victoria, 1936, age 78, parents Richd Wright and Lydia Dando.

anne fraser
22-05-11, 17:51
thanks very much for the info. I am sorry I have only just noted how busy you have all been. Susannah and Frank were Edward's wife and son. He was half brother to Lydia and Jabez. I love your newspapers Marquette. Edward's obituary gives his date and place of birth and his father's name. They did like old testament names George's other boys who stayed in England were Noah, Enoch, Aaron and Jesse.