Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 12-03-11, 21:37
Administrator

lol Thanks Elizabeth,

You kindly had a look for baptisms of the three known children of James Smith but it was difficult going....

Catherine Smith b abt 1805 in Standon (married my 2xg-grandfather)
Jane Smith b abt 1807 Wadesmill (married my 2xg-grandfather's brother)
Edward Smith, occ farmer, b abt 1814 Wadesmill Herts

I thought originally I had found a possible bap for Catherine online (but it was a bit early) which had led me to ask about finding the others, but I can't find that now

I really don't know what to do. Life would be much simpler if I could find my James and Mary Smith in 1851 to get their places of birth.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 12-03-11, 22:13
Administrator

There are 7 James Smith deaths in Ware district 1841 - 1851 and 6 Mary Smith deaths.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 12-03-11, 22:35

Quick question, Merry???

Are any of these likely to be non-cons??
Old 12-03-11, 23:02
tenterfieldjulie

Merry I know it is a long shot re Census. I was reading and I think I am right, that it said that if people lived on the border of a county, the Census registration went by the Poor Law District, which often crossed the border and so they could be recorded in the neighbouring county. Not sure if your Smiths lived on the border, but I thought I would mention it in case they did.
Old 13-03-11, 05:56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
There are 7 James Smith deaths in Ware district 1841 - 1851 and 6 Mary Smith deaths.
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I have their death certs from 1859 and 1860. They both died in Whittlesford Cambs. I think they were probably still in Herts in 1854 as James' name and occ appears on a doc saying he is of Wadesmill. I just can't find them in 1851. (I've been looking for years!!)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-03-11, 06:03
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMum View Post
Quick question, Merry???

Are any of these likely to be non-cons??
I don't know! One of James and Mary Smih's sons-in-law became a Methodist, but had his children bap C of E 'just in case' lol. Maybe I'm saying probably not?

Old 13-03-11, 06:22
Administrator

Quote:
I've now seen a John Smith in Thundridge (next to Standon/Wadesmill) on the 1851 census who is a baker and old enough to be George's father (b abt 1791). He wasn't born at Wadesmill though, he was born at Braughing, Herts (not that that makes any difference particularly.) What is bothering be is that he is married to Mary and has his unmarried sis-in-law in his house too. Guess her surname?
The unmarried sister-in-law, Sarah Smith, seems to have left a PCC will. I might invest in that on the offchance it tells me something new.

Old 13-03-11, 08:08
tenterfieldjulie

I was looking on HertsDirect to see if William may have apprentice indenture papers but couldn't find any. I did notice a 1806 will for a William Smith tailor of Kensworth. Not sure if Puckridge and Kensworth are near, but having the name Smith (which I did lol) does make you a bit invisible at times.
Old 13-03-11, 09:53
Administrator

This is what I have now. They all live around Standon in Herts except for George the baker who was b in Wadesmill but lived in London.

My James Smith b about 1770 in Herts. Occ tailor. Died 1859, but not apparent on 1851 census.
(Married to Mary, children Catherine, Jane, Edward)

William Smith b about 1777. Occ tailor. Died 1837.
(married to Sarah, children Charles (tailor) George (occ?) William's will says his father is John Smith)

George Smith b about 1785 in Herts. Occ tailor. Died between 1841 and 1857 (probably between 1841 and 1851)
(married to Sarah, son Henry)

John Smith b abt 1790 in Braughing Herts. Occ baker. He is not a sibling of George (above).
(married to Mary, son George a baker)

The wife of John Smith the baker is Mary nee Smith. She has an unmarried sister on the 1851 called Sarah Smith (b about 1788 in Standon).

Sarah Smith spinster names her nephew Henry Smith tailor in her will. Her executors are George Smith son of John Smith (ie her sister's son) and Charles Smith (tailor) who is likely to be the son of William. She doesn't actually state a relationship for these two.

Sarah leave her estate to all her nieces and nephews! lol (no names!!)

So, I'm off to fetch my mum now. I hope you have sorted this lot out by the time I come back!!

It's like Happy Families!

Old 13-03-11, 10:01
Administrator

Looks like they're all definitely connected except for your James!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update