Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 22-02-11, 10:14
Administrator

So, do you know which Australian state Ann lived in, Judy?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 22-02-11, 11:53
tenterfieldjulie

I haven't looked at deaths, but there are quite a few marriages of Ann Gleeson: in 1863 in Sydney to Thomas Fay, in 1865 at Manning River to Patrick Kennedy etc. It is possible to buy a cert in Aus and put all the entries with Nos. and say born Ireland maiden name Tierney and ask the Registrar for the correct cert. That is how I found the correct Death cert for Thomas Gray, otherwise I would have had to buy 10 certs. It helped his occupation was a Compositor but knowing that Anne came from Ireland, the year she arrived and her maiden name should find her. Julie
Old 22-02-11, 18:49
Administrator

I see there is a Mary Conway who died 1904 at Kensington, Victoria, age 72, parents Michael Gleeson and Ann, so is that the Mary you mentioned who was born in 1832? If so then there is an article on the Trove website dated 21 Feb 1881 Melbourne Benevolent Asylum,

"... Ann Gleeson has one daughter living on a farm at Kyneton. She is a widow with eight children in all, and five grandchildren; another of her daughters is married to an officer in a mailboat, earning £12 per month; one of her grandchildren is a traveller, living at Kyneton; another is married, Mrs Conway, a teacher at Echuca; and a third, Ellen, is deputy registrar at Kyneton; Elizabeth is also a teacher, and Wm J Conway clerk on station or in a store".

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 22-02-11, 19:20
geniebug

Sorry - You beat me to it Kite - with the information on Kate.
This is what I know.
Ann Gleeson 45- Married Matron
Eliza Gleeson 22 Spinster
Ellen Conway 8 Child
Mary Conway 7 Child
Mary E Flahey 25 Spinster all came to Melb on "star of Brunswick" - left abt Feb 1862 and arrived abt 28 May 1862
The two Conway girls were her grand daughters, their mother having arrived earlier.
To all intents and purposes, the Conways lived in Kyneton, Vic
The Mary Conway death is the correct one. Her father Michael is shown as a Govt Official, her place of birth, Tipperary, Ireland, and her marriage in Clare, Ireland. Ironically Mary's husband and later her daughter were the registrars of BMD in Kyneton, so one hopes this information is accurate.

We know Ann Gleeson (nee Tierney) did not remarry, but I cannot find her death. We know she was living in a Benelovent Asylum in 1881
The younger Ann Gleeson (daughter of Ann) - we have no information other than she was born in Ireland 1839.
Eliza Gleeson married John Deering in Clare 1862 and died in Geelong Vic 12 July 1912 - I don't have a death cert for her.
Kathleen Frances my ggrandmother died 24 March 1904 Annandale NSW. In 1902 she was living at 2 Piper Street. Her death cert shows her father Michael as Manager of Estates. She was born Ennis Cty Clare.
That is all the information I have.
I need to find out who Michael George Gleesons parents were - date of birth, when and where they married and also Ann(e) Tierneys date of birth and parents.
Old 23-02-11, 04:27
geniebug

I was wondering if Limerick, Tipperary and Ennis boundaries were ever changed many years ago?
Old 23-02-11, 05:14
tenterfieldjulie

Jood Ennis is in County Clare but it is very close to Limerick. Tipperary is more central. There are some new Limerick records now online. I'll see if I can find the site.
There are 100,000 Limerick records here - Kite posted it in October. http://limerick.rootsireland.ie/

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 23-02-11 at 05:23.
Old 23-02-11, 09:35
geniebug

Thanks Julie
Old 11-09-12, 13:22

Hi geniebug, has there been any revelations on the parents of Anne Tierney and Michael Gleeson? I am also stuck on this one.. decendant of Kathleen Frances Goring nee Gleeson and Ansley Frederick Goring. New to this site, thanks happy to compare notes,
Amelia
[email protected]
Old 11-09-12, 14:53

**Anslem Frederick Goring
Old 11-09-12, 21:20
geniebug

I've emailed you Sady.