Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 12-02-12, 13:37

Default Wood Lane or Yoxall?

I am in contact with various people in America regarding some of my great (2) grandfather's brothers who emigrated and settled there.

One of the brothers Charles Sharratt was born 25 Mar 1812. I have his birthplace as Yoxall, Staffordshire, (from 1851 and 1861 census) and know that he was baptised in Yoxall from parish records.

They (in America) have his birth place as Wood Lane, Staffordshire, but cannot cite me a source. Without a birth certificate how could I say with certainty where he was born?

Old 12-02-12, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
I am in contact with various people in America regarding some of my great (2) grandfather's brothers who emigrated and settled there.

One of the brothers Charles Sharratt was born 25 Mar 1812. I have his birthplace as Yoxall, Staffordshire, (from 1851 and 1861 census) and know that he was baptised in Yoxall from parish records.

They (in America) have his birth place as Wood Lane, Staffordshire, but cannot cite me a source. Without a birth certificate how could I say with certainty where he was born?

Wood Lane is in Yoxall John. It's the main road through the village.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=wood...ngdom&t=m&z=16

Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 12-02-12 at 13:45.
Old 12-02-12, 14:02

[QUOTE=Margaret in Burton]Wood Lane is in Yoxall John. It's the main road through the village.

Hello Marg

Would it have had that road name in 1812 though?
Some of them also refer to Wood Mill as his birthplace (I have seen this on early censuses for other members of the family).

Birth certificates weren't in existence in 1812, were they?
Old 12-02-12, 14:32
Administrator

If you look at the parish register entry for his baptism, it might have the place of residence, although not all did before 1813.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 12-02-12, 14:34
Administrator

Quote:
Would it have had that road name in 1812 though?
Some of them also refer to Wood Mill as his birthplace (I have seen this on early censuses for other members of the family).

Birth certificates weren't in existence in 1812, were they?
No birth certs before 1837 for England/Wales.

I think the address/road name must hae existed as the Staffs record office holds some documents entitled:

Quote:
Messuage and land at Wood End or Wood Lane, Yoxall, within the manor of Barton-under-Needwood.
The most recent document in this series is dated 1715.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 12-02-12, 14:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
If you look at the parish register entry for his baptism, it might have the place of residence, although not all did before 1813.
I got this source from Marg who, many years ago, went round looking at all the parish registers for this family. Unfortunately it was at a time when all you could do was sit and look at them and make notes, so I do not have a physical copy of the baptism record and trust the info Marg cites (I know what you're going to say next!).
Until such time as FMP updates their parish records to include this area I have no alternative.
Old 12-02-12, 15:14
Administrator

Quote:
I got this source from Marg who, many years ago, went round looking at all the parish registers for this family. Unfortunately it was at a time when all you could do was sit and look at them and make notes, so I do not have a physical copy of the baptism record and trust the info Marg cites (I know what you're going to say next!).
Until such time as FMP updates their parish records to include this area I have no alternative.
Well, you could order a copy from Staffordshire Record Office or ask someone to go and look at it for you, though as I said, since it is before 1813 it might not state the family's residence. But according to various public trees on ancestry, he had siblings born after 1813, so you could get a copy of the baptism entry for the one born 1814 to see what the address was on that. Of course they could have moved house in the meantime, though.

Old 12-02-12, 15:27

Woodmill, Yoxall

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=wood...ngdom&t=m&z=15

12 minute walk away from Wood Lane

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=...ra=ls&t=m&z=17

Yoxall is only a few miles from where I live.

Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 12-02-12 at 15:29.
Old 12-02-12, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Well, you could order a copy from Staffordshire Record Office or ask someone to go and look at it for you, though as I said, since it is before 1813 it might not state the family's residence. But according to various public trees on ancestry, he had siblings born after 1813, so you could get a copy of the baptism entry for the one born 1814 to see what the address was on that. Of course they could have moved house in the meantime, though.
I doubt it would say any more than Wood Lane or Woodmill. I do remember viewing these records and the abode is just like that.
Old 12-02-12, 15:42
Administrator

Sorry, Marg, I thought John just wanted to find out whether it said Wood Lane or not, to confirm what his contacts have.